Wednesday 10 June 2009

Day 5: The kitchen starts to take shape

Strange to think it is already day 5 (although it is day 7 when i am writing this) as we have feel like we have been here for much longer. Maybe it is the 13 hours we spent at the airport, plus an overnight stay in Amsterdam or the fact everyone makes us feel so at home.

On Day 5 (although only Day 2 at the school) we left the lodge at 8:30 (those who know me may find it hard to believe I have been up before 7 every morning and had breakfast everyday so far) which meant we got to the school just after 9. The builders were on site and already making good progress.

Because at the moment it is heavy building work there is little for us to physically do which is a shame, but we hope to be helping out with painting work in the future. The teachers however took us in again and once again we helped with marking the papers and teaching us Swahili (They love the fact we are so keen to learn). I can now pretty much count to 100, and I am learning various greetings and their corresponding responses. I am now working on days of the week, months are strangely pretty much the same as English. Still can't do my name is, and I would like .... but I think I am doing pretty well after only 2 days. Ruth is doing pretty well too.

The children are getting used to having us around, but there is still alot of excitement when the camera comes out. They all want their picture taken and to see the outcome, so I think I am going to have lots of pictures of children by the end of the trip.

We learnt that the summer holidays start next week (which explains why there so seem to be many classes going on and the teachers are sitting in the staffroom marking papers most of the time, I was beginning to think they didn't have many lessons to teach lol), so the children won't be around. Although we have been told that the teachers will be there on occasion, and that they have arranged for the children to visit every so often. This Friday they will be planting trees in our honour which is exciting. (As it turned out the kids joined us every day)

Amy and Keilah are working hard, and have not had time to update yet. They are doing really well with the deaf children, apparently Tanzanian sign language is similar to American and as they know the American version they are able to communicate well which is great. They have agreed that their library will have a mural on one wall (outside the original brief, but a wonder idea and the children are really excited) They have decided on a design and the students are going to help draw and paint it. Maybe something for us to think about in the future for our school. Although there is still an awful lot to do here before we get to that stage. Their school is obviously very quiet which is a complete contrast to our school. With the children not having to do classes they spend most of their time running around playing games.

At the end of the day we again walked down the hill to wait for our driver. He was late as usual lol, but once again we got to meet some interesting people. We met another Pastor who was an elder at the church. He was 73 (sabini na tatu) which is a good age over here. A very nice man and as with most people over here fascinated my mine and Ruths' names due to the biblical link. They seem to think we were destined to work together lol

In the evening we went to Mama Lucy's for drinks and nibbles, she is a Rotarian and does alot of close work with Peter over here. The usual Tanzanian hospitality. Possibly had a few too many drinks as their staff are very good at putting another beer in front of you without you noticing. (Kilimanjaro beer is yummy by the way. Mama Lucy is hoping to sort out some mosquito nets for us to distribute at some other schools on Thursday which I am really looking forward to

As I type this on day 7, things are progressing around me, Ruth is off to buy nets and the girls are at their school, I have been told to stay here and keep the blog up to date. It seems that I have been tasked with updating the blog, so I apologise that it is my random thoughts. I am hoping the others will add their thoughts at later dates, particularly Keilah and Amy as I can only add short elements regarding what they are up to.
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment